23 Shocking Infidelity Statistics
Well…let’s just get right down to it.
1. What percentage of men are unfaithful? Studies suggest only 21% of men have ever been unfaithful to their spouse or significant other.
2. How often do women cheat? Only 15% of women acknowledge an affair in a current or previous relationship. (Seems low, but that’s a 40% increase over the past 20 years).
3. What percentage of men would cheat if they knew they’d never get caught? 74% of men say they’d step out on their partners if they knew they’d be able to get away with it.
4. How about women? 68% of women say they’d step out on their partners if they knew they’d be able to get away with it.
5. How many men who cheat are happily married? 56% of husbands who admitted to cheating said that they were happy with their marriages overall.
6. What percentage of cheating wives say their marriage is happy? 34% of wives who admitted to cheating said that they were happy with their marriages overall.
7. How many people admit to cheating just once? 23% of men admitted that being unfaithful was a one-time thing. Only 17% of women who have cheated said the same.
8. How many say they’ve cheated 2 to 5 times? In a poll of cheaters, 36% of women said it happened between 2 and 5 times compared to 33% of men.
9. What percentage of adults are serial cheaters? 47% of unfaithful women acknowledged at least 6 or more incidents. 44% of unfaithful men admitted to a consistent pattern of cheating, as well.
10. Does income influence cheating rates? Women who are completely dependent on their husbands financially are 50% less likely to cheat, while men were least likely to stray when their wives earned 75% of their income or less.
11. Does a high IQ make you more likely to cheat? The average IQ of men who’ve had an affair is 102.4 versus 100.5 for men who haven’t. For women, the difference is 104.6 versus 101.5 for cheaters and non-cheaters.
12. How many women say cheating is wrong? 84% of women agree that cheating is wrong if you’re married.
13. How many men share that sentiment? Approximately 78% of men say that it’s not okay.
14. How often does infidelity result in divorce? Even though the divorce rate in the U.S. hovers somewhere around 40 to 50%, only about 15% of marriages break up because of infidelity. Studies show that 50% of divorces are a result of “unreasonable behavior.”
15. How many people consider emotional affairs cheating? Approximately 60% of adults classify an emotional relationship outside of the marriage as cheating. Only 18% said that it wasn’t the same thing as a physical affair.
16. How often do people cheat with a former sweetheart? In one study, 32% of women say an encounter with an ex led to an affair. Only 21% of men say they’ve cheated with an ex.
17. How many people say they’d cheat as a form of revenge? One study found that 14% of women would have a revenge affair while just 9% of men agreed.
18. At what point do most affairs begin? If you’re recently married, the 2-year mark is when your relationship is most at risk for an affair.
19. How long does the average affair last? The average affair usually lasts about 6 months.
20. How many people believe business trips lead to cheating? In one survey, 66% of men and women said they worry about their significant other cheating while on business trips.
21. How many people actually cheat at work? Research suggests that more than 60% of affairs begin at work.
22. How many affairs start online? More than 10% of cheaters say they met the person they were cheating with online.
23. What’s the average cost of having an affair? One survey found that cheaters spend an average of $444 a month to financing their extramarital affairs. However, only 32% of cheaters said their spouses had noticed the added expenditures.
Suspicious? Get Answers TODAY with ICU Investigations.
Call 800-524-9755 for your free consultation today!